Wednesday 22 January 2014

Empathizing the stakeholders


Having an increasing aging population in recent years, Singapore has gradually come up with many policies to help the elderly live more comfortably. Majority of Singaporean elderly live in HDB flats. Hence to target the problem that my group has chosen, we should definitely take into account the elderly's point of view.

Standing in the elder's point-of-view, I feel that currently the space allocated to Senior Citizens' Corner is rather limited. As I walk around my neighbourhood, I noticed that the Senior Citizens' Corner merely provides TV, tables and chairs.


As an elderly, I would love to see more facilities added into the spaces dedicated to us, so that I can have a more meaningful time together with my family and friends. For instance, a small area for gardening could be built near void decks so that :
  1. gardening enthusiasts can gather together for a meaningful afternoon
  2. social bonds between the elderly are forged
  3. beautifying the neighbourhood at the same time
Secondly, as an elderly, I feel that every Senior Citizens' Corner should be built close to the Community Centre (CC) of the neighborhood. This way, when the CC organizes classes for the elderly eg. Tai Chi, line dancing, embroidery, computer/IT, it would definitely be much more convenient. Additionally, by building the Senior Citizens' Corner near the CC, elderly can bring/fetch their grandchildren from tuition at the CC.

Lastly, I suggest that sufficient surveillance be added to the void decks. It is not uncommon that robbery/rape/gang gatherings occur despite Singapore's efficient police force. By adding CCTV cameras, not only is the elderly's safety protected, security in the entire neighborhood will also ensured.

No comments:

Post a Comment